Thank God it’s finally here! Waiting for Spring after such a long winter has been excruciating, especially if you live in the Northeast like me! I am so renewed, with Spring’s arrival, to take inventory of myself, my things, my health & my home so I can purge what’s not benefiting me and make a commitment to better myself & my family through healthier choices.
I invite you to join me for my blog relaunch with the Spring Blossom Giveaway Series which will feature the following parts delivered weekly beginning today where one lucky winner will receive a special gift each week announced on Mondays via ALLURE DECOR’s Instagram, Twitter & Facebook accounts:
- Part 1 CLEANSE
- Part 2 NOURISH
- Part 3 FLOURISH
- Part 4 GET IN THE ZEN
- Part 5 PLAY BIG!
Spring Blossom Giveaway Series: Part 1: CLEANSE
Personal Care/Household Cleaners Assessment
Want to streamline & detoxify your beauty regimen and all of the personal care products you use? On my Be A Star For Safe Beauty health & wellness group on Facebook I’ve been sharing all of the different ways you can replace toxin ridden products with safer alternatives. Feel free to join the group and invite your health conscious friends!
Know your ingredients! I use Beautycounter’s NEVER LIST of the most toxic chemicals to avoid as my beacon:
Haven’t heard of Beautycounter?
I share why I’m in love with this company, its mission to educate the public on making safer choices & their SAFE luxurious high performing cosmetics & body products here.
Take advantage of the EWG (Environmental Working Group) *FREE* Skin Deep Phone App that assigns risk ratings based on the chemicals each beauty product contains (0-2) Low Hazard, (3-6) Moderate Hazard, (7-10) High Hazard (aka dump it immediately!) Just scan the product’s barcode or manually input the name and voila! EWG is a great resource with many Consumer Guides available to check safety ratings while you shop:
- Food Scores
- Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce
- Guide to Healthy Cleaning Products
- Sunscreen Guide
- Healthy Home Tips
- Water Filter Buying Guide
- Consumer Guide to Seafood
- Guide to Bug Repellents
- Shopper’s Guide to Avoiding GE Foods (Genetically Engineered Food/GMO’s)
- Dirty Dozen Endocrine Disruptors
- 5 Reasons to Skip Bottled Water
- Good Food On a Tight Budget
- Guide to Safer cell Phone Use
I also love Goop’s The Dirty on Getting Clean room by room detox report.
A personal sinkside favorite of mine is A La Maison de Provence Honeysuckle French milled hand soap with coconut, olive & argan oils, Vitamin E, plant extracts & essential oils that produce a luxurious lather & incredible scent available at Whole Foods & Amazon.
I’ve been continuously editing and consigning my closet over the last 3 years so I can have an effortless wardrobe that reflects how I’m really living this chapter of my life with young teenagers. Gone are the days of serving on boards & charity committees and chairing galas & attending luncheons.
I’ve had to make the shift to more casual flattering clothing that works for attending my son’s baseball games from March through October, shuttling my daughter to theater rehearsals, dance classes, dates with her friends & constant trips to the dreaded mall, grabbing a bite & a movie with the hubs, showcasing my Be A Star* jewelry collection at trunkshows (now in season) and sharing Beautycounter with prospective clients.
photo via fawndlyandhart.com
Have you heard of the Capsule Wardrobe? It’s where you pare down your wardrobe to around 33 key pieces for each season. I first learned of this minimalist tactic via Un-fancy.com. Are you brave enough to give it a try? It’s gaining popularity but I could never part with half of my shoes to do it! But I have reduced my purses/totes down to 6 and my staples of coordinating capri pants/tunics & maxi dresses with a collection of sandals in key colors.
I recommend streamlining your wardrobe to include key pieces you love that fit well & mix well with other pieces for hassle free dressing. It’s also helpful to learn which color palettes are your most flattering & which silhouettes work best with your figure and stick with that formula religiously. Consign unwanted pieces & accessories with a local boutique where you can earn cash or use the credit you generate to buy necessary additions guilt free. Two great online consignment shops that accept many mainstream brands are Greene Street and Thred UP.
Garage Sale season is in full swing so why not go through your home and start pulling everything that you’re willing to part with that’s sellable and organizing it in a designated area. Whatever’s left you can donate to area churches & charities. Get your kids in on the action and let them help organize & run it and then use the money for a special family outing or item like a new trampoline.
- In choosing date, try to avoid holiday weekends & competing area events that will diminish your traffic.
- Promote on Facebook, in local area papers, Craig’s List & on sale sites such as Yardsaletreasuremap.com, Weekendtreasure.com, & Garagesalehunter.com.
- Road signs work best when on white plastic boards with black permanent marker as large as possible with simple info: SALE, DATE/TIME/ADDRESS.
- Grab people with urgency: I titled mine: Dollar Dream Yard Sale and used this description: Most items $1 + Boutique with higher priced items. Like shopping at Marshall’s but CHEAP! Homegoods, ladies, kids, toys, sporting equipment, designer items & more! It worked like a charm. I made over $700 but I also had a ton of great stuff in great condition, no junk.
- Key tip: I told people with multiple items to purchase to make a pile and we’d negotiate a price.
- I also had tons of shopping bags that I’d saved and ran it like a boutique with departments, music & treats.
- Kids handled check out. P.S. Pray for Sun!
- More helpful tips can be found here.
Do you practice the Chinese art of Feng Shui? I find it so interesting how the placement of certain objects in certain areas of the home with relation to the elements of fire, earth, metal, water & wood can have an impact on the flow of energy within and can foster success and good fortune – provided you are open to this and believe it!
I never gave it much thought but have now zeroed in on it, adapting key practices from this itty bitty book, Feng Shui DOs & TABOOs:
A few simple steps toward bringing positive energy into your home and enabling the flow:
- Place any of the following on your desk to attract good luck & prosperity: wish fulfilling cow, deer, dragon, tortoise, prosperity plant, tabletop fountain, crystal paperweight or candy jar.
- Keep a bowl of fruit on your dining room table to represent continuous sustenance to your family. Add a mirror on the west or northwest wall to double the food on your table.
- Don’t leave too many things on kitchen surfaces, as it will detract from a good flow of energy.
- Place a large or heavy piece of furniture in the south area of the living room to anchor your family in your home.
- Put your computer in the north or west area of your office to enhance your creativity. Place it in the southeast if you use it to generate income.
A favorite site of mine, MIND BODY GREEN has some more tips for Inviting Positive Energy Into Your Home, specifically via your front entrance.
And finally, clutter and excess in general blocks your prosperity and leaves no room for new energy. Elephant Journal’s Urge To Purge Feng Shui Advice is a great guide.
Stay tuned for the next installment of ALLURE DECOR’s Spring Blossom Giveaway Series Part 2: NOURISH next week on 4/27! To be eligible for this week’s special giveaway of a Beautycounter Essentials sampler pictured below, you must first:
- Comment below or follow ALLURE DECOR on Instagram, Twitter & Facebook where you’ll have to LIKE the bright pink tulip post & share/repost the link for this blog post giveaway with the hashtags #springblossomgiveawayseries and #giveaway.
- Must be over 18 years old & reside in the US so I can ship you your prize.
- Entry cut off Sunday April 26th 2015 at 12 pm EST. One entry per person.
- Winner announced Monday April 27th
See you next week!